Victoria Club realizes that as a premier local golf destination, it is important to have a world-class practice area with a sufficient grass teeing area and adequate range space to allow golfers to practice with all of their clubs on fresh and well-maintained turf.
Victoria Club has also recognized the notable change to the game of golf itself. Changes in technology now make every golfer a lifelong and continuous student of the game. For this reason, a “driving range” is no longer just a place for a ten-minute warm up before a round of golf; practice and enhancement of skills are now an important component to both dedicated and aspirant golfers as playing an 18 hole round.
As you’ve probably noticed, we are under construction and will soon be completing a new practice facility to meet these practice needs! The facility was conceived and the layout features were designed with the members in mind. Pro and honorary member, Don Pooley, assisted the Club with the plans which will allow more members and their guests to use the practice area at the same time.
Plans for our new world-class practice area include a new practice area with an improved short game area that will be built on the north side of the scenic creek. Two chipping greens will feature several different lies from which to practice, along with several bunkers. The existing driving range tee will be re-leveled and new sod will be laid for re-growth.
In addition, a new synthetic turf tee will be installed on the back of the range for our outside tournament events to preserve the real grass tees for our members. Also, a new putting green will be installed down at the practice tee area so that all facets of the game (ball hitting, chipping, pitching, bunker-play and putting) can be practiced in the same location, a fact that’s exciting to our Social, Junior Executive and Equity members.
About Victoria Club’s Golf Course
Victoria Club’s first golf course was designed by founding member Fred Heath in October 1903. The original nine-hole golf course started much like today’s course, its opening tee shot playing north, 400 yards from approximately the location of the current upper practice green. In the fall of 1908 the Club purchased seventeen additional acres in the Tequesquite arroyo from the Chase Family, allowing for the expansion of the golf course. By 1916, there were sixteen golf clubs in Southern California; the nearest eighteen hole course was at the Orange County Country Club located in Newport Beach. Victoria members expressed interest in expanding their own course, and professional golfer Walter Fovargue created a plan for rerouting the course to make optimal use of the natural land forms of the arroyo. The new 18-hole design officially opened on November 2, 1920 and stretched 6,320 yards. Remnants of the Fovargue course can still be seen today at hole #15.
We are all very excited about the improved driving range and practice area! Our club amenities which set Victoria Club apart as a full service club. Featuring an 18-hole golf course with luscious turf, swimming pool with male and female locker rooms, five lighted tennis courts, Fitness Center where you can enjoy magnificent views of the course and lake while you work out, dining rooms, two beverage lounges and a beautiful Victorian-Style clubhouse, Victoria Club is a world apart, right around the corner.